Andover Self Drive FAQs

What vehicles am I entitled to drive?

This depends on what categories are on your driving licence. Everybody should have the entitlement to drive vehicles up to 3500kg GVW with up to 8 passenger seats apart from those holding a provisional license. If you want to hire a 7.5ton Truck, you must hold category C1 on your license. If you passed your driving test before January 1997, you may already have group C1 on your license but please check before booking your vehicle.

Some common categories include;

  • Category B includes Cars, 4x4’s, MPV’s and Light Commercial Vehicles up to and including a maximum weight of 3,500kgs and no more than 8 passenger seats.
  • Category C1 covers commercial vehicles up to and including a maximum weight of 7,500kgs.
  • Category D1 covers minibuses with no more than 16 passenger seats.
  • Category E permits towing, and will be added to another category, for example B+E, C1+E or D1+E.

Can I still hire a vehicle if I can't find my licence?

Yes. If you have a UK licence and your driving licence number, we can obtain your details over the phone from the DVLA. It is very important that you have a document with your Licence number displayed as this is the only information the DVLA will not give out over the phone, a photocopy of your licence will suffice. Please note a £3.00 charge applies for this service. The DVLA will need to speak to you first and will ask for your permission to give us any license information so you will need to do this at our office during opening hours. Please note that the DVLA license check line is open from 0800hrs to 1900hrs Monday to Friday, 0800hrs to 1730hrs on Saturdays and closed on Sundays, so if you are hiring on a Sunday and need us to carry out a licence check you will have to come in prior to this.


From the 8th June 2015, you can use the new DVLA licence checking service on the DVLA website. The DVLA will issue you an access code which can be used by us to check for any points or endorsements. To obtain a check code you will require your driving licence and your National Insurance number. You can also obtain licence information by calling the DVLA on 0300 083 0013

Can you insure a driver with a foreign licence?

EU, Commonwealth, and North American licences are normally acceptable, but we may have to check licences issued in other countries with our insurers first. If you hold a foreign license and are living in the UK, you must be able to provide a current UK address. If you are a foreign visitor, you must be able to provide details of your current accommodation. The minimum age for overseas drivers is 25 and you must have a current UK address.

What excess am I liable for?

All of our prices include insurance and our standard excess is £1000 on all vehicles. You will be liable for damage repair costs up to £1000 for all vehicles unless you opt for Collision Damage Waiver.

Of course, any excess is refunded if we recover the accident costs from a third party, and if the damage amounts to less than the excess, you will only be charged for the actual cost of repairs.

You do have the option to reduce your excess liability using Collision Damage Waiver.

What is collision damage waiver?

Collision Damage Waiver (CDW) is a chargeable option that you can pay in order to reduce the amount of the insurance excess that you are liable for. We normally include a base level CDW in the price we quote which reduces your excess liability to £1000. You can opt not to take it, but you will be asked for a larger security excess, typically £1000, depending on your license endorsements. This security excess is your liability in the event of any damage.

We offer two levels of CDW as highlighted below;

Standard CDW - This options costs £5 per day and reduces your excess liability to £500 on all vehicles.

Premium CDW - This options costs £10 per day and reduces your excess liability to £250 on all vehicles. It also removes any liability for windscreen stone chips and tyre punctures.

Is there anything the CWD doesn't cover?

There are a number of circumstances where you will be liable for the full cost of repairs. These include;

  • All Glass, including windscreens, wheel and tyre damage (unless you have taken the Premium CDW from above).
  • Interior damage.
  • Roof damage.
  • Damage caused to the vehicle when not on the public highway.
  • Damage caused by the negligence of the hirer, for example, racing, poor driving, using the wrong fuel in the vehicle or driving while under the influence of alcohol or drugs.
  • Theft of the vehicle.
  • Acts of Vandalism.
  • Malicious Acts.
  • If the terms and conditions of the rental agreement are breeched.

In addition to the above, any additional damage caused by operating a vehicle with a fault would not be covered by CDW and you could be liable for the full excess. For example, if you realise you have used the wrong fuel but continue to drive the vehicle, any additional damage caused would be your responsibilities. If the vehicle develops a fault we would ask you to contact us immediately so we can access the situation and arrange breakdown recovery if required. This will help us prevent additional vehicle damage from occurring.

Are the contents of the hire vehicle insured?

Loss or damage to anything being transported is not covered by our insurance. Your home contents insurance may cover personal items being carried, but we suggest you check this beforehand.

Can I provide my own insurance cover?

Yes but it is usually only corporate hirers who are able to cover vehicles on their own insurance. Any cover must be fully comprehensive and valid for the type of vehicle hired. We must also have a copy of your insurance certificate. Please contact us for more details.

What is an Operators Licence?

Operators of vehicles over 3500kg GVW or with more than 9 seats need to hold an Operator’s Licence if the vehicle is being used for business purposes (hire or reward). If, for example, you are moving personal effects or family members you do not require an Operator’s license. However, if you are transporting goods or passengers in connection with a business, or you’re being paid for doing it, you will need to talk to VOSA about obtaining an Operators license. We will need to see a copy of your Operators license before you can hire a vehicle from us.

If you are using a 7.5ton vehicle for business purposes you are also required to use a tachograph. Most of our 7.5ton vehicles use a digital tachograph which requires a driver’s card however, we do have several 7.5ton vehicles that still use the analogue tachograph system. Please let us know which tachograph system you require, digital or analogue, at the time of booking and we will do our best to help.

How do I book a hire vehicle or get a quotation?


You can book a hire vehicle over the telephone, email or in person. Just call us on +44 (0) 1264 771564
or email If you just need a quote, for now, we are only too pleased to help. To book a vehicle with us we will require you the driver’s full name, age, driving experience, current address, contact telephone number, license details including any points or endorsements and payment details although the payment will be processed on the day of collection.

Thanks to our new vehicle management software, Prohire, you can now book online in a few simple steps. Go to the home page and use the Book Online box at the top left-hand side of the page. Select your vehicle type, location, pick up and drop off dates and click continue. You will now be directed to our Prohire software which will take you through the booking process. Here you can select the vehicle type you require and enter your personal details. All of this information will be directed straight to us and we can confirm your booking as soon as availability is confirmed.

When entering your details you can also add a username and password so that your details are securely retained in the Prohire system making future bookings quick and easy. Please note when booking online no payments will be taken until the day of collection. If you are a corporate or trade customer, please contact us for special trade discounts.

How far ahead do I have to book?

We would recommend booking as soon as you're certain of your dates but usually, a week before is plenty of time. Please be aware that weekends are very popular for most vehicles, especially vans, so please book early to avoid disappointment!

How can I cancel or amend my reservation?


Where ever possible we will adjust your booking to suit your requirements, however, cancellations must be made 24 hours before the hire start time otherwise, a cancellation fee of up to 50% of the hire charge will be incurred. If you need to amend or cancel a booking, please call us on +44 (0) 1264 771564

What is included in the price?

Unless otherwise stated, the price quoted will include your hire, insurance cover, unlimited mileage*, roadside breakdown cover, collision damage waiver and VAT. For corporate customers, we would normally quote ex-vat and give you the opportunity to provide your own insurance cover. You will be given a Rental Agreement to check and sign. This will show any additional services with the relevant charges.

* Please note if you plan to travel more than 500 miles in a 24 hour period, you may incur an additional mileage surcharge.

What is not included in the price?

To prevent additional costs being incurred at the end of your hire, please note the following;

It is illegal to smoke in any of our vehicles as they are considered to be a public place so we would ask that you please do not smoke in any of our vehicles, this includes any passengers. A smoking fine of up to £50 will apply for people who smoke in our vehicles.

Although we do not expect vehicles to be returned clean, we would also ask that you respect our vehicles. Excessive rubbish, drink spills, paint spills, pet hair, mud or other substances found in the vehicle may incur a valeting charge of up to £50.

For any Penalty Charge Notice received whilst the vehicle is on hire to you, an administration fee of £15 + VAT will be charged for each PCN received. This includes congestion charges, speeding fines and parking fines.

Every vehicle is supplied with a full tank of fuel unless otherwise stated and it is your responsibility to ensure the vehicle is returned with a full tank of fuel. A refuelling surcharge of £10 will apply for any vehicles requiring refuelling so please make sure the fuel gauge reads full at the time of returning the vehicle.

How do I pay for my hire vehicle?

Most major Credit and Debit Cards are accepted including Eurocard/Mastercard, Visa, Diners, Switch, British Maestro and Visa Delta Debit Cards are accepted. American express and Visa Electron are not accepted. Card details can be taken over the phone for payment if required and signed on your behalf by the person collecting the vehicle.

Please note, due to new restriction from our insurance company, we are no longer able to accept cash payments. We apologise for any inconvenience this may cause.

Do I have to pay a deposit or security excess for the vehicle?

We do not ask for a deposit on the vehicle hire, you simply pay the required amount for the hire and that’s it!

You have the option of Standard CDW (£500 excess) and Premium CDW (£250 excess) if you wish to reduce your excess liability further. We keep your card details as a guarantee against the security excess so there is nothing to pay unless the vehicle is returned with new damage or requires refuelling.

Can I set up an account?

Business customers are welcome to apply for credit facilities, although these are of course subject to credit and reference checks. If you wish to apply for an account, please go to the Corporate Customers section of the website and download an Account Application Form. Send the completed form to us, either by email or post and we will contact you once your account has been accepted.

What do I need to be able to rent a vehicle from Andover Self Drive?

There are several requirements that you must meet in order to hire a vehicle from us. These requirements can change depending on your age.

In general, you need to:

  • Have a full driving licence held for at least 24 months.
  • Have 9 or less penalty points*. For any motoring convictions other than speeding fines (SP) and including endorsements starting with AC, BA, DD, DG, DR, CD, MS, IN or LC, please call the office prior to booking to ensure you are eligible to drive.
  • Be aged between 21** and 75.
  • Have your own credit card or debit card

* Please note an additional excess charge will be required if you have more than 3 penalty points and, for insurance purposes, penalty points stay on your license for 4 years. Please let us know of any points or endorsement on your license at the time of booking.

** Hirers aged between 21 - 24 can hire a vehicle from us but come under stricter insurance criteria. You can drive any vehicle except multi-seat vehicles and 7.5T trucks and must have held a full driving licence for 2 years. Hirers aged between 21 - 22 must be free from convictions and be free from any fault accidents. Hirers aged between 23 - 24 are permitted one minor conviction and one 'minor' fault accident in the last 3 years with damage repair costs of less than £2000. You may also be liable for a higher security excess

To hire a multi-seat vehicle, minibus or 7.5T truck, hirers must be aged between 25 and 69 and must have held a full driving license for at least 2 years and have the necessary category on their license (for 9 seats or more only).

Is there a mileage limit?

All our short term rentals are based on unlimited mileage. However, we would generally expect the mileage covered in a 24 hour period to be less than 500 miles. If you exceed this, you may incur an additional mileage surcharge. For long term rentals, we would ask you to estimate your weekly/monthly/yearly mileage and we would calculate the rental price based on this figure.

If you would like any more information please contact us and we can discuss your requirements in more detail.

How many drivers can I have?

We allow up to two drivers free of charge, provided they meet our insurance requirements and we see their full licence. You can add extra drivers at a one-off charge of £10.00 each.

Does the vehicle come with fuel?

All of our vehicles are provided with a full tank of fuel unless otherwise stated. All vehicles should be returned to us with a full tank of fuel, otherwise, a refuelling charge of £10 may apply.

What is the shortest time I can hire?

The minimum hire period is 1 day.

What are your opening hours?

Our office is open between 0800hrs and 1730hrs, Monday to Friday. We are also open on the weekend between 0800hrs and 1000hrs on Saturdays. If you can't get to us during these times, please contact us with your requirements and we will do our best to help. We also have an out of hours or emergency contact number which is +44 (0) 7718 260995.

Can I take a hire vehicle overseas?

All of our vehicles are available for overseas hire, as long as they are returned to the UK. We also need at least 5 working days notice if you are planning on travelling overseas in order to arrange the necessary paperwork, overseas insurance, breakdown cover and touring kit. There are extra costs for continental travel, so make sure you mention this when getting a quote. We will need to know what country you are travelling too, the dates of travel and the driver’s details for quotation purposes.

Please note some countries prohibit the entry of a vehicle from the UK but we can advise you of this at the time of booking.

Do Andover Self Drive offer long term hire?

For business users, we offer a range of vehicle hire options for any length of time including weekly, monthly, yearly, open-ended hire, fixed contract and even a full maintenance contract hire over a number of years. We are happy to quote for any duration and we can even order specific vehicles as required, so please contact us for more information or a quotation.

Does Andover Self Drive offer one-way hire?

Unfortunately, as we are a single branch we cannot offer one-way hire.

What happens if the vehicle breaks down?

All of our hire vehicles have emergency breakdown cover so should you breakdown or have any vehicle problems, just call us on +44 (0) 1264 771564. If it is during working hours, we will deal with your problem directly. If it is outside of our standard working hours, you will be directed to our third-party Emergency Breakdown line who will organise the best solution for you. Please have your exact location and a mobile telephone number available to aid any breakdown assistance.

What happens if I have an accident?

You need to notify us as soon as possible and follow the procedure laid down in our terms and conditions. We would ask you to record as many details of the other driver and vehicle as possible and also, if you have a camera phone or similar, take some photographs of the damage, location and any other vehicles involved. For most accidents, we will require you to complete an Accident Report Form for insurance purposes.

If you have taken our CDW, you will be charged the security excess, although this would be refunded if we recover the accident costs from a third party. If the damage amounts to less than the excess, you will only be charged for the actual cost of repairs and refunded any remaining money.

Do you have vehicles with roof racks?

Currently, we are unable to offer any vehicles with tow bars or roof racks due to insurance restrictions.

Do you have any vans without signwriting?

We do have a few vans without Andover Self Drive graphics. If this is important to you, please make sure that you request a plain van well in advance and we will do our best to help.

What will fit a 3 piece suite/wardrobe/double bed etc?

This all depends on the exact size of the furniture you are trying to move, but most single items of furniture will fit in a short wheel base transit van. Please contact us with the dimensions of the item(s) you are trying to move and we can best advise you what vehicle you will need.

What van is best for house removals?

Depending on how much furniture you have, the best option would be a 3.5ton Luton Van with tail lift. If you have a lot to move a 7.5ton Truck with tail lift maybe more appropriate. Both have a large, square load space with several strapping points and the tail lift helps with loading heavy items. A 3.5ton Luton Van will hold approximately 16m3 and a 7.5ton Truck will hold approximately 32m3. If you would like to check the size of any vehicle in person, you are welcome to visit and look inside the vehicles before deciding.

What vehicles can gain access to the local tip?

Small vans and short wheel base vans (Ford Transit) can gain entry to the Andover Household Waste and Recycling Centre, located on Scott Close at the Walworth Industrial Estate, providing you are carrying domestic waste only. Householders who have hired a van for a period of two days or less to dispose of their own waste do not require a permit but you should take the rental agreement with you and present it to site staff on arrival.

Can I carry animals?

We would prefer that you didn't, but providing that you protect the vehicle's interior and accept that you may be charged for any damage caused by the animal and additional cleaning, particularly if we have to remove dog hairs, we would permit it.

What do I need to bring with me when collecting the vehicle?

There are 3 important items you must bring when collecting the vehicle:

A full driving licence for all named drivers, with details of all endorsements. If you hold the new photocard licence, the photocard AND the paper section of your licence must be shown at the time of rental. From the 8th June 2015, the paper counter part licence will be abolished and you will need to provide us with an access code so we can check for licence points and endorsements on DVLA website. More information on this new service can be found on the DVLA website. You can also bring your National Insurance number with you at the time of collection which we can use to check your licence details online.

Your credit or debit card except Visa Electron or American Express. If using someone else's credit or debit card they must accompany you at the time of collection to sign the rental agreement,

One of the following; passport or identity card, utility bill, another credit or debit card, building society book or statement, police warrant card or HM Forces ID card.

When can I collect the vehicle?

Generally most vehicle hires start from either 0800 hours for an AM collection or from 1700 hours for a PM collection and our standard hire runs over a 24 hour period so just let us know when you would like to collect the vehicle when you make your booking. If you require the vehicle a little sooner or a little later, this is usually possible depending on availability and other bookings.

Please note we would charge a two day hire for a 24 hour period starting from 1200hrs to 1200hrs the following day.

Can you deliver the vehicle?

For private hirers, it is not possible to deliver the vehicle to you as we need to complete the rental agreement with you, in person, at our office and check your license details are correct. However, depending on how busy we are, we can collect you from within the local area and bring you to our offices for completion of the rental paperwork.

For corporate hirers, we are happy to deliver vehicles to your business premises if the vehicle will be covered by your own fleet insurance policy. If you are operating on our insurance, we can still deliver to you but we must see the driver(s) license details prior to the rental agreement being completed.

Please contact us with your delivery requirements and we will do our best to help.

When do I have to return the vehicle?

This will depend on when you booked the vehicle from. If your hire started at 0800hrs then the vehicle should be returned by 0800hrs on the morning of the hire end date. If your hire started at 1700hrs then the vehicle should be returned by 1700hrs on the end date of your hire. It is always worth checking when you collect the vehicle whether we can give you a bit of leeway, we will always try to be flexible depending on current bookings.

What happens if I cant get back before you close?

We offer an out of hours drop off facility just encase you cannot return the vehicle to us before we close. There is no extra charge for this service but please be aware that the vehicle remains your responsibility until the vehicle is checked in by us, usually the following morning.

When you are booking a vehicle, please let us know if there is any doubt over when you might return, so that we can plan other bookings around you. You can help by contacting us as soon as you know you will not be back in time and if the vehicle you have on hire is required by a following booking we will always make you aware of this as soon as possible, normally at the time of collecting the vehicle.

What happens if I want to keep the vehicle longer than planned?

If you wish to keep the vehicle longer than the contracted period, just let us know and your rental documents can be extended. Please let us know as soon as possible as other bookings maybe affected but we will provide you with some options if this is the case.

What do I need to check before I drive the vehicle away?

Although we have a detailed record of any vehicle damage, it is important you inspect the vehicle at the start of hire to help assess any damage that occurs during your rental. All our vehicles undergo a pre-rental inspection and are cleaned, checked and tested before each hire.

If you have the vehicle for any length of time, we would ask you to check the oil and water levels, tyre condition and if the vehicle is approaching its service interval. Alternatively you are welcome to bring the vehicle to us and we can check it for you.

Can I leave my own vehicle with you?

We offer free parking whilst you have a vehicle on hire and although it can get busy, we usually have spaces available. Please let us know at the time of booking if you wish to leave a vehicle with us so we can make sure it is parked in an appropriate place. Please note all vehicle are left at the owners own risk.